Can Budgies Eat Alfalfa Sprouts?
Have you ever checked the seeds in mixed seeds package sold for budgies? Aren’t they a colorful bunch?
Alfalfa seeds are also a part of the package that budgies love tremendously. As the parent of a couple of parakeets, it had been quite tough for me to obtain fresh seeds from markets during the quarantine time.
I bet most pet owners have felt the same kind of despair. However, this is when I discovered something unexpected.
After growing many plants on my cozy balcony, I asked myself, can budgies eat alfalfa sprouts if I grow them?
Can Budgies Eat Alfalfa Sprouts?
To tell you the truth, I had a lot of time experimenting and growing various plants these few years. I’d plant any seed within my reach and wait patiently for days to see the outcome.
Alfalfa seeds were also one of those silly attempts that turned out grand!
Read More: From What Age Do Baby Budgies Eat Seeds?
Budgies and Alfalfa Sprouts
Technically those sprouts were for me to eat. You can add them to sandwiches or other meals. That is how I began to wonder if I could eat the little green heaven, why not the budgies?
They absolutely cherished the spoonful of sprouts I offered.
While various seeds are the staple diet for the parakeets, they also need some fresh greens. What can be better than homegrown fresh alfalfa sprouts?
So yes, they can eat them but only a small amount. Below are some points you should know:
- Wash the sprout thoroughly before offering.
- Avoid store-bought alfalfa sprouts as they may be exposed to pesticides.
- Budgies can eat only a small amount (one tsp.) of alfalfa sprouts as they have a small stomach.
- Make sure the sprouts are always in fresh condition.
- Throw away any that show signs of mold.
How to Feed Alfalfa Sprouts to Budgies
It’s pretty easy, really. The only concern is the freshness. So, always check the condition before serving.
- Alfalfa sprouts deteriorate very fast, so avoid preserving them in a jar unless needed.
- Eat them while they’re fresh. This goes for both you and your winged family members.
- Top conditioned alfalfa sprouts have cream-colored stems and no smell.
- Take enough sprouts that fill a teaspoon.
- Wash them in clean water.
- Chop them slightly for the budgies to eat easily.
- You can serve them raw or steam them lightly. Budgies love both!
Health Benefits of Alfalfa Sprouts for Parakeets
Alfalfa sprouts are healthy for you and the budgies. They’re nutritious and bring a positive change in the budgie’s dietary cycle.
- While dried alfalfa seeds are healthy, their sprouting process converts them into an even more nourishing ingredient.
- Alfalfa sprouts release additional nutritional value upon sprouting.
- The soaking process of dry alfalfa seeds alters the proteins, carbohydrates, and fats into more palatable amino acids. It helps budgies to digest food easily.
- Alfalfa sprouts contain minerals, antioxidants, enzymes, and vitamins in higher amounts.
1. What Do I Do With the Leftover Alfalfa Sprouts?
Wash and dry the remaining sprouts. Choose a plastic container and store them in the refrigerator.
2. What Happens If My Budgies More Than a Tsp. of Alfalfa Sprouts?
The budgies can’t eat more than a tsp unless you’ve surrendered to their adorable chirpy request. They won’t be able to eat other seeds if they fill the stomach with only alfalfa sprouts. It can result in nutritional lacking.
3. Should I give Alfalfa Sprouts to My Budgies Regularly?
These sprouts are a variation in a daily meal plan for budgies. Therefore, limit them to supplementary snack or treat offered only once or twice a week.
The Bottom Line
So, can budgies eat alfalfa sprouts? Yes, and they love a healthy change in their repeated diet pattern. Alfalfa sprouts can form a bond between you and your budgies. Just remember to give only a tiny portion so they could have space in the stomach to fill in with varied seeds. Lastly, I’m quite content with my discovery since it has saved weekly visits to pet stores which were unnecessary.
Can Budgies Eat Chia Seeds? [Read Full Article]
Can Budgies Eat Mealworms? [Read Full Article]
Can Budgies Eat Eggs? [Read Full Article]
Can Budgies Eat Bok Choy? [Read Full Article]