Did you know that the majority of the food budgies eat contains varieties of seeds? If you have the mixed seed package from the pet store, you may have noticed the colorful seeds and pellets compilation.
While we depend on these dry items to cover about 60% of food intake in their diet, there are other seed types we overlook. I am talking about chia seeds. It is super healthy for us humans. Perhaps a section of aviary creatures can have them too. But can budgies eat chia seeds?
Can You Feed Chia Seeds to Budgies?
Since my budgies are gentle and eat whatever I offer them, I do not have to stress about their diet deficiencies. Nevertheless, budgies’ personalities vary just like humans. Some can be wild, while others are timid. This makes feeding different food items a little complicated.
Thankfully, all budgies can eat chia seeds, which play a big role in contributing additional nutrients. Besides, chia seeds are now available in most grocery or superstores due to global demand in the market. So, sprinkling a few of them every once in a while in the seed mix is no big deal.
Benefits of Chia Seeds When Feeding to Budgies
Just because you can feed it does not mean you give it. For example, you can offer budgies some cheese, but it is extremely unhealthy for them. So, is chia seed safe for budgies to consume?
- Chia seeds are part of the nature that wild budgerigars inhabit, making them granivorous (animals that feed on grains/seeds). So chia seeds are safe to eat.
- The seeds are packed with omega-3, fiber, vitamins, and calcium.
- Budgies are intolerant to constant dairy product intake. Chia seeds can fill in that space to provide calcium.
- It contains antioxidants too.
- Chia seeds offer impressive vitamin factors, including the B-complex (folic acid, riboflavin, thiamin, and niacin).
- B-complex vitamin ensures vibrant and healthy feathers.
- The omega-3 fatty acid content is vital for both humans and budgies. It increases resistance to inflammation and diseases in the body.
- Chia seeds can be a great means of energy supply, especially during the winter season.
- The seeds upkeep the brain function, thanks to the fat presence.
- The fiber content in chia seeds guarantees a healthy digestive system.
How to Feed Chia Seeds to Budgies
The method of feeding chia seeds to your budgies loosely corresponds to the number of times you offer the seeds. In short, there are counter effects to excessive feeding of a seed type that is not present in the usual seed mix.
This is what you need to know:
- Chia seeds are not toxic as a food, but overeating can lead to gastronomical issues.
- Do not let these seeds take up any more than 5% of the food.
- You can follow this rule by taking a tiny and sprinkling them on top of the bird food.
- Do not serve the budgies dry chia seeds. Soak them a little before offering.
- You can include the sprinkled seeds with other chopped fruits and veggies too.
Chia Seed Plants: Are They Safe for Budgies?
Have you recently grown chia plants? I have a chia plant pot with so many green sprouts that it made me question – can budgies eat a chia plant if the seeds buzz with nutrients?
In case you do not know, budgies’ diet also includes seedy sprouts, which are juicy and superb to nibble on. These various sprouts comprise substantial nutritional benefits compared to their seeds.
Chia plants offer similar nutrients that you can incorporate with other dishes. However, be sure to give them in moderation. Excessive sustenance is not healthy either.
Read More: Can Budgies Eat Corn?
Can you feed dry chia seeds to budgies?
You can, but dry chia seeds absorb moisture from the body if not soaked beforehand. It can cause kidney diseases.
Can I feed chia seeds to my budgies every day?
No, chia seeds are known as a superfood with packed nutrients. Feeding them daily to budgies leads to overconsumption and digestive discomfort. Offer the seeds only occasionally alongside other veggies/fruits.
What other seeds can my budgies eat as an alternative?
You can try millet, canary, sunflower, safflower, and groats as treats. The Budgie diet must comprise a large number of regular seeds and pellets too.
So, can budgies eat chia seeds? They sure can but in limited quantities. Whatever you give, try consulting a vet first. Remember that budgies are always active, burning many calories a day. It means they need to replenish their body with a healthy diet all the time.
Only you can provide the essential minerals and nutrients by providing versatile grains, seeds, pellets, fruits, and vegetables. Therefore, feed them what seems appropriate to keep them strong and chatty!